Wednesday, April 5, 2017

IWSG: April Already

I hope you're joining me for the monthly IWSG blog hop, taking place the first Wednesday of ever month and created by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Share your insecurities and also your successes with our ever-growing group. You can sign up on the list found here.

A few of the new things happening at IWSG recently that you should be part of. If you haven't joined our Goodreads group, please hop over there and join.

Don't forget the upcoming IWSG Twitter pitch happening this July. Very, very excited about it. And if you'd like some practice, check out #TKA20, a pitch session happening TODAY for The Knight Agency. Practice your pitch to agents.

Today's question: Have you taken advantage of the annual A to Z Challenge in terms of marketing, networking and publicity for your writing? What were the results?

I participated every year except the first year and this year. My intentions were all about networking. I never marketed or promoted my own books during the challenge. I think I expanded my network more the first few years I participated than the last two years. The challenge took up too much of my writing time for me to continue to participate.

The new book I started writing on Sunday for the 50/50 challenge is going well. I like my characters and they're really hating on each other at the moment. Makes for good conflict.

Almost nothing I want to watch on TV this week so I'm getting lots of evening writing done and outside work during the day. My bulbs mostly survived the late snow and I have tons of daffodils blooming and the tulips are up. They might bloom right at Easter.

We're doing our taxes this weekend. We never hurry to do them because we always owe because my husband and I are self-employed. The amount varies greatly due to the ups and downs of his business more than mine. My income lingers in the pathetic range most years.

What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin.”– Mark Twain

“When it comes to taxes, there are two types of people. There are those that get it done early, also known as psychopaths, and then the rest of us.” – Jimmy Kimmel

Are you ready to try a Twitter pitch today for the Knight Agency? Are you doing A to Z this year? Ready for some fun with at Goodreads group? Did you do your taxes yet? 


33 comments:

Michelle Wallace said...

Have to share this with you, Susan. Can't remember where I read it:

"Taxes? Blah! Fined for tax evasion? What bloody nonsense.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong.
A tax is a fine for doing well."

Happy IWSG Day!
Writer In Transit

nashvillecats2 said...

Wonderful post Susan, my how time is flying by.

Yvonne.

M.J. Fifield said...

My income is generally in the pathetic range. Such a great feeling.

Glad your new book is going well. Happy writing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The last two years haven't been as good for networking as in the past.
We were split this year. Owed one, money back from the other. Go figure.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Glad to hear the new book is going well!

I love spring flowers. I can't seem to grow them, but at least I can look at them. :)

betty said...

That is good about the new book getting a great start. We did our taxes early but we knew we were getting a refund. In years past, we always waited until the last week to do them even though we haven't had to pay for a few years.

Betty

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'll have to peek in on that pitch.

Self-employed usually mean you owe.

J.L. Campbell said...

Hey, Susan,
Good job on getting some writing done.
Hope you get the taxes done soon.

Donna K. Weaver said...

TV doesn't get in the way of my productivity. League of Legends does. I need to do better about using it just as a reward for getting writing things done. lol

cleemckenzie said...

I think Mark Twain said all the great things in the best way and we can't improve on any of it!

Arlee Bird said...

Since blogging is about the only writing I do these days then A to Z helps increase my writing which is a good thing for me. I do need to write other things than blog posts though--or maybe not need, but should.

When I was self-employed after deductions my bottom line always looked like I was making virtually nothing. There can be a great advantage to being able to take those business deductions.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Crystal Collier said...

As blogging diminishes in popularity, the A to Z is definitely less effective than it used to be. At least, that's been my observation. Still fun though. Just too much. =)

Chrys Fey said...

There really isn't anything on TV right now. A good time to write! :)

Pat Hatt said...

Did everybody's taxes as always. Mine lingers in the pathetic range this year too lol A to Z doesn't seem to be as good at networking as it used to be.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Susan.

Thankfully Taxes DONE... lol. I did four A-Z's and like you found the first two more fun and fulfilling.

You're right about TV lately... definitely a good time to write. I should do some myself... If I could just get motivated enough to do it.

The KNIGHT AGENCY is having a TWITTER PITCH? Need to find out more about that. COOL...

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,

I am almost complete with my first book, and have seriously started thinking about the marketing and networking opportunities, I have with people in the WEP and in the IWSG.

Hope you get your taxes quickly.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat

J E Oneil said...

You have flowers? There's nothing around here. Everything's still in winter mode.

Good luck with your taxes. You might need a stiff drink to get through them.

Maria Zannini said...

We were supposed to get our taxes done weeks ago. Oy!

This weekend for sure.

The Happy Whisk said...

Evening writing and outside work sounds pretty good. As for me, no on the A/Z game, as I'm not a big fan of that game.

messymimi said...

Yes, i am doing A to Z, as i post daily anyway. My taxes are with the accountant (i hope he got the stuff in the mail on Monday) and it's all over but the paying.

Denise Covey said...

Just finished our taxes for last year. We always run close to the wire. I'd like to get them done early so I can forget about them, then life happens...

Chris Votey said...

Great post this month.

I am to AtoZ Challenge this year, and it is centered on my upcoming book, Character Astrology Profiles. I'm hoping it helps writers make more complex characters. It's the first year I've used AtoZ for marketing purposes.

Chemist Ken said...

I put off taxes until the last minute this year too. They're not that hard to do, but for some reason I resist. I guess I'd rather be writing.

Juneta key said...

I'm a last minute filer too. This is an area of resistance for me. I always dread it but after I do wonder why I procrastinated.
' Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Susan,

Me again. I just had to drop by and THANK YOU for mentioning the KNIGHT AGENCY Twitter pitch.... I was PICKED!!!!! I just sent out my query and first three chapters.I will be FREAKING until I hear something. This is the FIRST TIME EVER an agent was interested in one of my twitter pitches. The third one nailed it. I almost didn't post it. SO glad I did now. Thanks again!

Ann Bennett said...

The late hard freeze after no winter froze back my fig and pomegranate tree. The fig will grow back but I don't know about the pomegranate.
Evening time is a good time for writing. I'm busy with taxes this week. I hope to get them done soon.

Tamara Narayan said...

Hey, I'm a psychopath! Or actually, I'm married to one. I love that my husband does our taxes. I find it hilarious that he declares my meager dollars from book sales as income. Whatever.

I'll have to seriously rethink this A to Z thing next year. It is great for networking, but is that worth losing another month of writing time?

E is for Experiment: Turning the USS Eldridge Invisible

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

This made my entire week! I am so excited for you!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm skipping the A to Z again this year. This is the year I take back all the time I've been spending on other things and focus on writing.

Tyrean Martinson said...

My husband and I used to do our taxes early ... and then, we chose some more complicated, self-driven projects and now we do them slowly. Love those tax quotes - especially Twain's.
Best wishes on your daffodils!
Our daffodils came up in late March because it's warmish and rainy here - despite a snow day in early March. We had 72 days of rain in a row - not recommended for/by anyone, even those of us who have been crazy to live in Washington state our whole lives.

Liza said...

No A-Z for me. I don't feel I have the time to do it well, so as usual, I'm a cheerleader. Hope you see spring flowers soon.

Stephen Tremp said...

I'll put something together. I'm also looking into other avenues but hey it doesn't hurt to try pitching agents on Twitter as well.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks SUSAN!!!!! I am anxiously waiting to hear back from the agent. UGH... I hate waiting! Also realized...after the fact, that I had two typos in the query and one was in my pitch! LOL... Don't you just hate that?! Let's hope that won't be too big a deal... it's the writing that counts and my chapters were very clean. THANK GOD! I'll keep you posted. A week and counting....